Saturday, March 17, 2018

Bonjou

More Training

My second day of training was fun because we had the chance to learn a little Patwa/Creole.  The first thing we did Thursday morning is open our local bank accounts in downtown Castries.  That was an experience all to itself trying to get all the volunteers through, but everyone is so nice. There are a few people who have a little less patience with us Americans because of a certain person, but that is because Saint Lucians are very up front.  This can be seen by the language that has very matter of fact and has no hidden meaning like the English language and all the sarcasm of the US.  It is also noticeable with signs on the streets and in their Carnival where people are free to air their grievances.  The food is definitely amazing.   Friday, we stopped at this restaurant called Tastee Tinges and the owner definitely hooked us up with some great wings and the Saint Lucian national dish of green banana salad which is similar to potato salad.  

Moving In and Exploring

After we were finished with training on Friday, we went to pick up some starter items at the grocery store and were dropped off at our apartments.  Mine is in this really nice area outside of Castries called Karibelle Gardens. My landlord is extremely nice and really hooked me up.  The view toward the Caribbean Sea is spectacular.
 On Saturday, I started exploring my neighborhood trying to get familiar with the area.  I walked down to Vigie Beach and relaxed for about an hour before realizing I forgot to bring any water.  So, once lunch time neared I hiked to the neared Massey Grocery store and got some water and snacks to go with my lunch. The rest of the day I mainly relaxed because tomorrow I am probably going to get some more items I forgot and try and figure out how to use the washing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment